Tym Wallace’s Grammys Photo Diary With Taraji P. Henson
When you’re a pro like Tym Wallace, awards shows are literally all in a day’s work—even if that “day” blends into night and lasts for close to 24 hours. Case in point—this year’s 59th Grammy Awards, where he styled the hair of Hidden Figures star and Ms. Cookie Lyons herself, Taraji P. Henson. He’s the embodiment of the hashtag #nevernotworking and when we asked how he started his day before the main event, he casually told us, “so funny, I woke up early to style a client. Glam never stops!” See what we mean? Grace under pressure and those magical hands are the reasons why Hollywood’s A-list go to him. Think Serena Williams, Zendaya, Kelly Rowland, Brandy, and more. Below, Wallace took us behind-the-scenes getting the Empire maven ready for her big red carpet moment, before taking us into how he created her sleek, pinned bob.
Fill in the blank—the Grammy glam sesh with Taraji is like…
A Hollywood movie filled with fun, laughter, and unforgettable stories.
What inspired the look?
After seeing Taraji’s dress, it had a futuristic feel, so I decided to add some fun detail to a simple style. Using hair pins, I created an intricate design to play up the dress’s accents and complement the entire look.
Describe Taraji’s hairstyle in one word.
GET THE LOOK
- Start by washing hair with Dove DermaCare Scalp Dryness & Itch Relief Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Once hair is cleansed, pump a dime-size amount of Dove Absolute Curls Supreme Crème Serum into hands and emulsify by rubbing together before evenly distributing it throughout hair from root to tip.
- Blow dry hair out in sections, and flat iron to ensure it is super smooth and straight.
- Clean up undercut if needed, then part hair down the middle, then apply more of the Dove Absolute Curls Supreme Crème Serum from root to tip to help slick the hair down and boost shine.
- Once hair is smooth and straight, add an excessive amount of black bobby pins to secure hair on either side, stacking them and crossing them over one another to form a unique and playful design.
- Finally, spray entire head with Dove Style+Care Flexible hold hairspray to complete the look and ensure the style stays all night long.”