DIY Pumpkin Spice Hair Mask
As the weather gets colder, our hair can get dryer. While it’s great to keep your tresses moisturized with daily dabs of creams or oils, it’s important to give your hair some serious TLC to support healthy hair inside-out. Take the extra time to revive your strands with a hair mask. In honor of fall, we’ve got you covered with an easy (and yummy) deep conditioner recipe perfect for the season — the pumpkin spice hair mask. This is sooo not your basic pumpkin spice!
WHAT IS A HAIR MASK?
Much like a facial mask, a hair mask is a spa treatment for your mane. It’s basically a coat of nutrients and goodies that help support growth, moisture, and overall healthy hair.
Believe it or not, pumpkin is way more than just a delicious pie ingredient. You’d be surprise at the many benefits pumpkin can bring to your entire body, along with many other nutritious foods. In the case of hair, pumpkin is a great source of vitamins needed for healthy and strong hair. See all of its superpowers below!
- Vitamin A – Helps your scalp produce healthy sebum (aka your skin’s natural oil), thereby preventing breakage and dryness.
- Vitamin E – Helps promote blood circulation by increasing oxygen supply, thereby preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth.
- Potassium – Hair loss is sometimes caused by potassium deficiency. Like bananas, pumpkin is a great source of potassium needed to help hair grow and maintain strength.
PUMPKIN SPICE HAIR MASK RECIPE
- 1 cup of pumpkin cooked and mashed/pureed (canned pumpkin works too)
- 2 tablespoons of pure coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey (or agave nectar)
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt (optional) – yogurt has anti-fungal properties that help fight dandruff and adds even more moisture to your strands.
- Cleanse your hair and scalp with water.
- Towel dry your hair, then section hair into four.
- Apply hair mask to each layer of hair within the section (applying from root to tip).
- Comb through with fingers or wide tooth comb.
- Cover with plastic cap, let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse out hair mask with cool water, shampoo and condition, style as usual.
Unlike pumpkin pie, you can indulge in this tasty treat once a week guilt free!
Do you have a favorite fall hair recipe? Share in the comments below!