6 Rainbow Bright Festival Hair Color Formulas
Latest posts by Nina Aghadjanian (see all)
In need of a new hair color for festival season? You’ve come to the right place. Whether you’re a colorist or a client, the Coachella hair colors in the gallery ahead will be the topic of everyone’s conversation out in the fields. Plus the colorist behind each shade is spilling their step-by-step hair color formula so you can nail the hues. Think pastel cotton candy, peach sherbet, and more electric shades.
Electric Strawberry Lemonade
First I lifted Samantha’s regrowth with Schwarzkopf Blonde Me and 7 volume developer. Shampoo TWICE with Matrix Keep Me Vivid then I applied the root shade formula: 15g Cool Rose, 15g 9.5-18, 15g 6-89, 3g 0-11, 10g ColorWorx Pink with 7 vol melted into 0-00 in the mid-sized and Color Worx Yellow on the ends. After rinsing this formula, I applied Chi Chromashine in Mellow Yellow to the ends for a brighter yellow pop. I rinsed in literally ice cold water and applied the Matrix Keep Me Vivid Laminate Spray and conditioned with Matrix Keep Me Vivid.
The Keep Me Vivid line is amazing for keeping vivid hair looking and feeling super fresh and soft. Rinsing in cold water and making sure to shampoo only once or twice a week in combination with using the Matrix system is key to preserving a long-lasting vivid!
—Megan Schipani, @shmeggsandbaconn
- Lifted with Schwarzkopf Blonde Me 20 vol to a level 9
- Split the hair half and half
- Platinum formula: Igora royal 40g 10-21 + 40g 9.5-22 + 15g 0-11 + 5g 9.5-18 with 7 vol 1:1
- Navy blue formula: Igora lucid nocturnes 3-222 with 7 vol 1:1
Wash with cold water using Joico K-pak Shampoo and Conditioner. Cold water is essential so the blue doesn’t bleed on the platinum too much. Do weekly treatments with Schwarzkopf Tone Enhancing Blond Me Mask in “cool blondes.”
—Andrea Rojas, @c00lidc
Lisa Frank Leopard
- Shave head with a #2 guard
- Apply bleach (on the scalp ratio) with 30 volume. Resaturate and process until a light level 9 is achieved, rinse.
- Apply 2 nickel-sized dollops of each hair color in various areas on the head (I used Manic Panic Cotton Candy Pink, Electric Purple, Electric Lizard Lime Green, Psychedelic Sunset Orange, Bad Boy Blue and Electric Banana Yellow.
- Starting from the center of each color, use a Color Trak Blur Brush to blend the color in an outward swirl motion, making sure the colors blend into their neighbor colors.
- Process for 30 minutes and rinse
- Use Manic Panic Raven Black to apply the Leopard Rosettes
- Process for 30 minutes and rinse
My favorite color preserving color on this specific type of hair color and style, I prefer to “wash” with conditioner only and Redken’s Color Extend Conditioner is wonderful!
—Janine Ker, @janine_ker_hair
For her color I used Schwarzkopf Igora. The roots are 6-12, 6-28, 0-99, and E-1. The ends are 8-29, 7-2, 6-23, & 6-89.
I love using Brazilian Bond Builder post shampoo and conditioner, and their mask to prolong their color at home.
—Anh Le, @annaabananax3
Formula 1: Schwarzkopf BlondeMe with 20v to get the perfect pale yellow canvas.
- Matrix Socolor Cult Semi
- 1/2 Lucky duck yellow and 1/4 for clear
- Sparkling Rose and a drop of starfish coral
- Bubblegum pink
- Bubblegum pink with a drop of orange alert
I love Schwarzkopf BlondeMe Keratin Restore Cleaning Conditioner followed by Schwarzkopf BlondeMe Keratin Restore Mask
—Leysa Carrillo, @leysahairandmakeup
On Mia I used a bullseye pattern for this color placement, starting with a 1” round section in her crown area.
Take 1/2” going out in circles, like the Target sign. So the first section would be the bullseyes. The placement in this technique is key, because it allows you to put five different colors on their head with a nice blend. So it doesn’t look spotty.
Alternate the colors in Rainbow order ( Pink, Peach, Mint, blue, Purple).
- I used all L’Oreal Professionnel #colorfulhair semipermanent shades after I lifted her to a level 10 blonde.
- Bowl: 1- 30 grams Clear+ 20 grams Pink Sorbet + 2 grams Magenta
- 2- 20 grams Clear + 30 grams Sunset Coral + 4 grams yellow
- 3- 30 grams Clear + 5 grams Caribbean Blue + 2 grams yellow
- 4- 30 grams Clear + 5 grams Caribbean Blue + 5 grams Navy Blue
- 5- 30 grams Clear + 10 grams Electric Violet + 5 grams Pink Sorbet
Loving the new Kerastase Blond Absolu Baine Lumiere Shampoo and Masque Chromatique. I recommend all my blondes to use a mask every time they Shampoo their hair in place of conditioner.
—Shelley Gregory, @shelleygregoryhair