In the midst of the season’s commotion, December proves one thing: there’s NEVER enough time, especially when it comes to our hair. So go on, admit it: you rely heavily on a sleek low bun because your limited schedule sets you to autopilot chic. On one hand, we completely understand, but on the other… we’re guessing you might want to switch it up. So we’ve rounded up 8 quick tricks to get your party hair on par.
1. HOMEMADE HAIR ACCESSORIES
With all gifts you have to purchase, hair accessories are probably the last thing on your mind. However, most likely somewhere lost in your jewelry dresser there’s a necklace (or two) that you haven’t worn in years. Remove the clasps of the necklace and sew each end to a hair extension clip. Tada! New, improved, and ultra glam accessory.
Perhaps this should be labeled as a warning, because all your friends will beg you to make them one. On the upside, it makes a show stopping handmade gift for under $10. (Everyone wins!)
2. WHEN IN DOUBT, POWDER IT OUT
If you’re hair seems continually lifeless and product hunting makes you quiver, always keep handy a bottle of (…wait for it) baby powder. We’re sure you’ve heard of this magic trick, but it’s so good that it’s worth being reminded. It adds massive body and instant texture. Buy a travel size to keep in your clutch and you’re good to go for last minute touch ups.
- Pour into your hands and rub together vs pouring onto your hair. This non-direct application shakes out any excess powder and keeps your mane from looking like a wig from the 1700’s.
- Buy the lavender scent to keep from smelling like a cabbage patch kid.
3. STRING THEORY
Bored with the average do’? Get crafty by sewing your style into place! To cop this look, apply Bumble and bumble Semisumo Wax. Make a clean, deep, side part and comb/smooth into a ponytail; secure with an elastic band. If needed, use more wax to ensure the ponytails sleek structure. Prep the sewing by looping the needing and tying the string (several times) through the base of the ponytail. Begin sewing desired shape and continually overlapping the same pattern; this will build strength and hold as broken string never helped anybody.
Things to consider:
- Play with different thread colors as well as building different silhouettes, the possibilities are endless!
- Choose a thicker needle… your fingertips will thank us.
4. THE SIMPLE LIFE
Complicating things is human nature. However, with those last minute moments doesn’t easy street sound nice? Create a clean center part, smooth hair with clay wax and secure each side with two bobby pins.
Osmo Clay Wax: $9 (it’s on sale!)
14k Gold Bobby Pins: $185
5. BRINGING THE PARTY HAIR TO THE PARTY
This might seem unconventional (probably because it is) but glittered mane’s are breaking past the photoshoot props and becoming an everyday norm. With more translatable and easily washable products like Major Moonshine, this makes a whimsical option sure to be remembered.
- Great for accenting and highlight updo’s
- Alternative to gel for making slicked back hair festive
6. STICK THAT IN YOUR BACK POCKET
No really… keep them close (pocket, purse, office desk, etc) as these three things just may save (your holiday party) life [in 5 seconds flat]. After a long messy day at work, run to the office bathroom, frantically spray dry shampoo to replenish, and begin pinning away. We like texture and no one’s trying to be perfect so don’t stress too hard on this. The saving grace? A super glam accessory to piece the look together.
7. KNOTTY AND NICE
Another quick hairstyle that’s waaaay easier than it looks. Here’s how:
- Make 3 horizontal sections and secure them into 3 ponytails with elastic bands.
- Knot or twist each ponytail and secure with small french hairpins.
- Leave random bits for texture variation and finish by spraying with a light hold hairspray.
8. TONGUE AND CHEEK
And you thought toothbrushes were only for your teeth! This is our favorite behind the scenes set trick for smoothing pesky baby hairs. It acts as an “ultra mini brush” and gets into places that a normal brush can’t go. Just spray the toothbrush with hairspray and tame away!
We love a compact toothbrush and travel size hairspray for the ease of stashing in your purse.
Let us know what you think of these holiday hair hacks in the comments! And if you try one, tag us on Instagram @maneaddicts.