Step aside platinum, winter white is moving in thanks to Kate Hudson! The Met Gala is definitely the time to bring out all the tricks, especially when it comes to beauty. Over the years, we’ve seen stars debut dramatic ‘dos on the Met Gala red carpet–Anne Hathaway’s blonde pixie, Nicole Richie’s gray moment, heck Cara Delevingne even painted her buzz cut silver last night. But, our eyes were on Kate Hudson’s wildy white tresses, which were styled by the ever talented Peter Gray.
“She loved that her hair texture was a little rough and real,” says Peter. But… “the look was too pretty for her and turning it white was her idea. Tip is to use root lift throughout your hair before you blow dry to texturize it with your fingers. ABBA Volumizing Root Spray is BOMB! Pull the top knot loosely with a teasing brush (I like Cricket’s Amped Up Teasing brush) to add dimension and volume.”
The inspiration for Kate’s transformation for the night? The Met Gala theme– Rei Kawakubo x Comme des Garçons. Rei has been dubbed one of the most influential designers of the past 40 years, and is the first designer since Yves Saint Laurent in 1983 to have an entire Met Gala theme revolve around one designer. Kate dressed the part and wore a white, one shoulder Stella McCartney dress, with fashion-forward white hair to boot. Below, a step-by-step guide on how you can pull off white tresses too!
A post shared by Met Gala (@a.news.entertainment) on May 2, 2017 at 5:49am PDT
A post shared by Kate Hudson (@katehudson) on May 1, 2017 at 8:57pm PDT
HOW TO: KATE HUDSON’S WHITE TOPKNOT
- To prep the hair, use the Thermal Protect Spray then apply ABBA Volumizing Root Lift Spray on damp hair from mid to end of hair and comb it through with the Cricket Silkomb Rattail Pro-50 to give it more texture and volume.
- Use a tiny bit of Blow Dry Lotion mid to end of hair to create a bit of slip then use the Cricket Copper Clean Paddle brush to smooth hair.
- Use the Centrix Q-Zone Dryer to dry hair on low heat and low blow to create texture and a lived-in look, texturizing with the thumb and forefinger and apply ABBA Dry Shampoo to set the hair
- Next take an Ultra Smooth Professional Curling Iron to create diagonal curls and use ABBA Firm Finish Hair Spray as a setting spray.
- Once the hair was dry, grab the hair from the back, pulled upward into a ponytail using the Amped Up Teasing brush and secured with an elastic. Use an E.V. hair pro human hair weft to add volume and length to the ponytail.
- Next, hold the Cricket Silkomb Rattail Pro-50 at the center of the ponytail to create the top knot by wrapping hair around the tail comb.
- Lastly, spray the talcum powder around the hair line, a ton of ABBA Dry Shampoo and then Firm Finish Hair Spray to seal the look