PSA: Cara Delevingne’s platinum blonde transformation is everything. From dirty blonde to strobe light-bright platinum, Cara’s mane rivaled the Eiffel Tower’s glow in Paris this week. The model debuted her new, near-highlighter hue, by Nina Kairouz from Mare Salon in Los Angeles, during Paris Fashion Week. Beetlejuice met cool girl band met Chanel when the super-blonde stepped out in a matching pinstripe pant suit and blazer. A badass twisted knot braid from Jen Atkin sealed the look. Keep reading for Nina’s pro tips to taking the platinum plunge, plus Jen’s steps, including the products she used, to create the edgy short hair-girl ‘do of our dreams.
Why the sudden change in strands? “It was all Cara’s idea. It was time for something new and perhaps a showcase of another incredible and awe-inspiring side of her personality,” Nina told us. The silver step may also be a sign of the supercharged girl power sweeping the globe. Nina said, “I feel as though there’s been a real swing these days towards a more powerful looking feminine. There seems to be a rejection of all typical indicators of what’s considered pretty—long, beachy layers with soft highlights—for a more unmistakable, incredibly sexy and brave woman.”
For clients who are gung-ho about taking the one-way ticket into bleach and tone, Nina advises that lifestyle should be the number one factor to consider. “Lifestyle is so important because if they can’t handle the maintenance, they shouldn’t invest in this.” Define maintenance, you say? Root touch-ups every 6-8 weeks, fragile hair, no fun in the sun without protection for your hair, and extremely limited use of heat styling products. Since yellow will always come through after the toner fades, Nina says a purple shampoo is a must. “Hands down my favorite is Sachajuan Purple Shampoo! I also absolutely love and swear by the Shu Uemura Moisture Velvet line. It’s full of moisture oils and lipids because anything protein is a no. Finish up with the Shu Uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Oil and you’ll be good.” Pro tip from Nina: Never rub the water out of bleached hair—just squeeze.
GET THE LOOK: I’M WITH THE BAND TWISTED KNOT BRAID
- Blow dry the hair with Dyson Supersonic Blow Dryer (and concentrated nozzle attached) and Harry Josh Pro Oval Brush.
- Add Kevin Murphy Powder Puff Volumizing Powder to roots.
- Create waves using GHD 1-inch Flat Iron.
- Spray OUAI Texturizing Hairspray from roots to end to build volume.
- Rub a dime-size of OUAI Matte Pomade between hands before running through ends of hair for a piecey look.
- Starting at the temple, braid hair until the nape of the neck to form a twisted knot braid.
- Secure the braid with BLAX Hair Elastics.
- Finish by taming flyaways with OUAI Finishing Creme.
Follow Nina Kairouz for more #manespiration.
SHOP THIS STORY