On any given day, chopping your hair off can be daunting, emotionally-exhausting—even FOMO-inducing. But to be able to bid your long locks adieu for a super short ‘do just a few hours before walking the Oscars red carpet, you must be fearless—that, or your name is Cate Blanchett. Yesterday, on the biggest night of awards season, the Best Actress Nominee debuted a short layered bob by celeb hairstylist Robert Vetica.
“I know what you’re thinking, did you discuss this beforehand or was it last minute? Absolutely…and it just seemed like the perfect time – why not day of the Oscars! Actually, it’s one of the reasons I love this woman so much—I mean, who cuts their hair day of. She’s bold!” Vetch said. Damn right, she’s bold.
Inspired by the modern women of Diana Vreeland’s era in the 40’s and 50’s, Cate’s chin-grazing bob paired perfectly with her low-cut floral Armani Privé gown. Using Olivia Garden Cara Shears, Vetica took Cate’s hair up from the collarbone and then added soft layers throughout. Then came the styling, which also mimicked the carefree nature of the look. Below, Vetica’s steps to styling Cate’s new chic mane.
GET THE LOOK:
- Apply a setting hairspray to wet hair to give the hair a strong foundation for styling.
- Before blow drying, brush from root to tip with Olivia Garden Divine Wet Detangler to distribute the product evenly through the hair and brush out any tangles.
- Using the Olivia Garden ECOCeramic Thermal Firm Round Brush, create a sleek blow dry with an emphasis on a low side part.
- After hair is dry, take 2 by 2-inch sections starting at the top of the head and spray each with a shine protectant to smooth flyaways and create red carpet-worthy shine.
- Curl these sections with a 1-inch curling iron to give the hair bend, then quickly, with the same size Velcro rollers, wrap hair to set. Keep hair consistent with your part and wrap away from the face.
- Remove the rollers, spray the whole head with hairspray, and brush through it with Olivia Garden FingerBrush Vented Hair Brush. Use the heat from your blow dryer to loosen the set and lock in the style.
Cate’s got us itching to make a major hair change. You too?