Celebrity Colorists Share Their Formulas for Luscious Chocolate Brown Locks
Latest posts by Nina Aghadjanian (see all)
- 5 Ways to Turn Basic Bangs Into French Girl Bangs - July 13, 2019
- Do You Clean Your Hot Tools? - July 12, 2019
- This Drugstore Hairspray Literally Freezes Your Style in Place - July 10, 2019
If the question is how to take your client from summer to fall, the answer is chocolate brown. Get ready to screenshot—in the gallery below, top celebrity colorists reveal the formulas for their A-list clients’ luscious chocolate brown hues ranging from swirly milk chocolate to rich dark cacao and more sweet tooth-inducing shades.
Cherin Choi @mizzchoi
- I first did full highlights using Flash Lift, 20V for the roots and 30V for the ends.
- Then I toned her with Redkin Shades 4N drop 8C for the roots and 5G (1.5oz), 6NB (.3oz), and 8N(.2oz) for the all-over gloss.
- To maintain this hair color, I recommend Mr. Smith Balancing Shampoo and Conditioner.
- For a mask, I recommend Oway Rebuilding Hair Mask. I would also add Mr. Smith Leave In for your ends as it’s UV protection.
Kazumi Morton @kazumimmorton
- For highlights, L’Oreal Blond Studio Powder with 20vol, lifted to level 7 and toned with No3 Japan Vegan color
- Formula 6WG 1oz 6GB 1oz for 10min.
- My favorite Shampoo and Conditioner is Milbon Plarmia Shampoo and Conditioner which help to repair the damage and add moisture.
- For an at-home use mask, I love the Gold Lust by Oribe.
Jacob Schwartz @jacobschwartzhair
- She basically wanted everything lighter but super natural and wanted to feel brunette and not dip dyed or blonde at all! So for Hillary I do a fine highlight all over her hair. I also balayage her ends very lightly.
- Then I rinse everything and afterwards, I use half Olaplex #1 and half water and then pour that all over her towel-dried hair.
- Then I bring her back to the chair and I root her damp hair with L’Oréal Richesse. The hairline with 7 and her roots with half 6.01 half 7 and 9volume for 20 minutes then I do using Redken Shades EQ zone 2 of 8n +9nb so it’s super natural and not stripy at all.
- Then after that I gloss her hair all over I use 9g + 8c for a minute.
- Right now I’m loving the new Olaplex No.4 and Olaplex No.5—they makes the hair feel so soft. I also love the Gloss Moderne Masque, it smells like vacation!!!
Tauni Dawson @tauni901
- Lowlight with Redken Shades EQ: 1.5oz 6gg+ .3oz 9aa+.25oz 4wg+.25oz 6wg+.25oz 4nb
- Gloss all over: 8wg+9aa+7gb all equal parts.
- To maintain rich tones at home, use Evo Fabulouso Colour Intensifying Conditioner in Chestnut or Caramel.
Chris Greene @chrisgreenehair
- First I did a partial highlight with Wella Blondor and 20 vol.
- Then in between the highlight foils I did a low light with Wella Color Touch using 15g 6/0 + 5g 5/3 with 1.9%. I let everything process and rinsed when the highlights were a leave 7 gold.
- Then we dried Lesley Ann’s hair and did a base partly to lighten and warm up her natural and partly to root the highlights.
- Her base color was done with Wella Koleston Perfect 30g 6/2 + 15g 5/0 with 20vol for 30 mins.
- Then at the shampoo bowl we did an all over gloss with Wella color Touch 7/0 with 1.9% for 5 mins.
- I recommend Inphenom Shampoo and Treatment (conditioner) to keep this color rich and the hair feeling good!
Alen M @alenm
- I use a level 6n and a 1/4 5n to create the rich brown base color.
- Low lights with 6n and 10 vol full head
- Gloss with Redken Shades EQ 6 n with 2 caps 7c
- I love my brunettes soft and rich. The key is not to go so dark so the hair color doesn’t look black.
- I’ve been using Iles Haircare recently and I really like the way it makes the hair feel. Use the Iles Shampoo, Conditioner, and a No. 3 Leave On Serum leaves the hair super shiny.
Jessica Gonzalez @jesstheebesttcolor
- I used L’Oréal Dialight 1/2 7n 1/2 7.13 with 9 vol for 20 minutes over her blonde balayage to tone it down to brown.
- My favorite shampoo to keep this up is the Inphenom Shampoo and Hair Treatment, and 1x a week use the Pravana Perfect Brunette Shampoo to keep it cool toned.
Matt Rez @colorbymattrez
- Lift color to a level 7/8 via Schwarzkopf #varioBlonde blue lightener and 10 volume via foiled babylights.
- Gloss over the highlights with equal parts of 6-0 and 6-12 using Schwarzkopf #vibrance line and 6 volume for 10 mins or until level desired is reached.
- Shampoo with Kristin Ess Extra Gentle Shampoo because it’s sulphate-free and super nourishing for colored hair.