5 Hair Masks You Can DIY with Ingredients From Your Kitchen
Latest posts by Ava Donaldson (see all)
- 7 Kitchen Pantry Ingredients for Crazy Thick Hair - May 30, 2019
- 4 Ways to Heat-Proof Your Hair Without Compromising Style - May 22, 2019
- 5 Hair Masks You Can DIY with Ingredients From Your Kitchen - March 14, 2019
In collaboration with HBFIT…
Don’t have an extra bill to drop on a fancy shmancy hair mask? Or just overwhelmed by the endless product options to choose from? Whatever your sitch is, never fear—the Mane Addicts are here. We rounded up five ingredients—good for both your health and pocket—that you can find in your kitchen and use to make DIY hair treatments for your softest strands yet. Scroll now to get the deets.
Not only does this simple hack restore shine, but it has even been credited with stimulating hair growth! Although all-egg white masks are popular, your hair benefits more from the whole egg, as the yolk contains sulfur and protein aka it thickens the hair follicle to create serious volume.
- Simply beat an egg yolk until creamy and spread the mixture evenly through your mane.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water. (Seriously, use cold water otherwise your strands will be covered in have scrambled eggs!)
FYI, an avocado mask is a game-changing frizz fighter.
- Mash 2 ripe avocados into a bowl until well blended.
- Massage the mixture into damp hair and top with a shower cap.
- Leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes then rinse and wash your hair as usual.
To the lovely ladies with thick or processed hair, meet your new BFF: olive oil. This ancient ingredient has been used throughout history as a natural treatment. With emollients like squalene, olive oil turns up your mane’s shine to the max.
- Massage 2 tablespoons of the oil into your scalp and hair, letting it soak in for 15-30 minutes.
- Follow the soak with a double shampoo.
Fight dryness and dullness with the multipurpose oil used for pretty much everything these days.
- Massage 2-4 tablespoons of liquid virgin coconut oil from your scalp to your ends.
- Once coated, leave the oil in for 15-30 minutes (depending on the level of dryness/damage).
- Shampoo and condition as usual.
- The treatment will leave your locks super moisturized, strong and dandruff-free! An added bonus? It leaves your hair smelling like heaven.
Finally, indulging in beer can be guilt-free. This beverage actually adds fullness and body to your locks because of power-packed ingredients such as B vitamins, protein, sucrose and biotin.
- Warm up the beer (add a few drops of essential oils to mask the smell, if you’d like).
- Rinse through your hair with warm water.
- Seal in the moisture by using cold water during your final rinse.
**Frequency of all the masks depends on your texture and hair condition.
Click here to check out some natural DIY cleanser recipes.
Be sure to follow @HBFIT for more health and fitness inspo!