Don’t have an extra bill to drop on a fancy-schmancy hair mask? Or just overwhelmed by the endless product options to choose from? Whatever your sitch is, never fear, the Mane Addicts are here. With the help of our friends at HBFIT, we rounded up five DIY hair masks you can make with ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen. From the best DIY hair mask for hair growth to the best mask for frizzy hair, there’s a recipe for everyone on this list. Scroll now to get the deets!
Best DIY Hair Mask for Hair Growth: Egg Yolk
Not only does this simple hack restore shine, but it has even been credited with stimulating hair growth. Although all-egg white masks are popular, your hair benefits more from the whole egg, as the yolk contains sulfur and protein (aka it thickens the hair follicle to create serious volume).
- Simply beat an egg yolk until creamy and spread the mixture evenly through your mane.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water. (Use cold water, otherwise your strands will be covered in scrambled eggs)
Best DIY Hair Mask for Frizzy Hair: Avocado
FYI, an avocado mask is a game-changing frizz fighter.
- Mash two ripe avocados into a bowl until well blended.
- Massage the mixture into damp hair and top with a shower cap.
- Leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes then rinse and wash your hair as usual.
Best DIY Hair Mask for Thick Hair: Olive Oil
For those with thick or processed hair, meet your new BFF: olive oil. This ancient ingredient has been used throughout history as a natural treatment. With emollients like squalene, olive oil turns up your mane’s shine to the max.
- Massage 2 tablespoons of the oil into your scalp and hair.
- Let it soak in for 15-30 minutes.
- Follow the soak with a double shampoo.
Best DIY Hair Mask for Damaged Hair: Coconut Oil
Fight dryness and dullness with the multipurpose oil used for pretty much everything these days. Though be warned, it isn’t for everyone.
- Massage 2-4 tablespoons of liquid virgin coconut oil from your scalp to your ends.
- Once coated, leave the oil in for 15-30 minutes (depending on the level of dryness/damage).
- Shampoo and condition as usual.
- The treatment will leave your locks super moisturized, strong, and dandruff-free. An added bonus? It leaves your hair smelling like heaven.
Best DIY Hair Mask for Thin Hair: Beer
Finally, indulging in beer can be guilt-free. This beverage actually adds fullness and body to your locks because of power-packed ingredients such as B vitamins, protein, sucrose, and biotin.
- Warm up the beer (add a few drops of essential oils to mask the smell, if you’d like).
- Rinse through your hair with warm water.
- Seal in the moisture by using cold water during your final rinse.
Struggling with thinning strands? THESE are the best hair masks for thinning hair!
In collaboration with HBFIT