Queen of the ponytail, Ariana Grande, gave us a little twist on her signature style at the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards Sunday night. The pop star’s stylist Aaron Light took Grande’s usual flirty updo to a new level using various products from the Matrix Style Link line.
Grande wore her gorgeous updo throughout the night, swinging her epic pony during her seductive performance of her hit single “Side to Side” which features raptress Nicki Minaj. The 23-year-old singer transformed the stage into possibly the sexiest gym ever, complete with spin bikes, dumbbells, and lingerie-inspired workout gear . Throughout all the choreographed “work-outs,” Grande’s ponytail still slayed. A sturdy, glamorous ponytail that can work both on the red carpet AND the gym? We’re into it!
“Ariana’s ponytail is her signature, so tonight’s look is a continuation of this classic, chic style that works for everything,” Light explained. Read on for Light’s step-by-step style breakdown.
GET THE LOOK:
- “Start by applying a small amount of Matrix Style Link Blow Out Big Queen* to damp hair. Blow dry bangs with 1 inch round brush and then place them in a 1 inch roller. TIP: If you don’t have rollers,wrap the hair around your finger and secure with a clip or bobby pin. Blow dry the rest of the hair so it is silky and smooth.
- Brush hair into a high ponytail on the top of the head and secure with a hook bungee. This will create a tight pony tail with no slippage. For thick hair, use two bungees.
- Spread a dime size amount of Matrix Style Link Shape Switcher onto finger tips and brush hands backward from the hairline to the ponytail to smooth any bumps and secure flyaways. Repeat with a barbering brush for extra smoothness.
- Wrap a small piece of hair around the bungee and secure with a bobby pin. Spray pony tail with Matrix Style Link Mineral Rough Me Up Salt Infused Spray for texture. Remove roller from bangs and smooth as desired
- To finish the look, take a few random pieces from the ponytail and using a crimping iron, crimp the hair from top to bottom. TIP: Dust finger tips with Matrix Style Link Mineral Booster Texture Booster and lightly run through sections before crimping for extra texture and volume.”
*Note: This product will become available in September.