Hair Legend and Mane Master Guido Palau never ceases to amaze us with his incredible hair creations. We wondered how he’d top his nuanced, masculine haircuts for Alexander Wang, and we were pleasantly surprised to see he’d outdone himself by proving a simple ponytail can make the same bold statement. Oscar De La Renta’s ready-to-wear collection integrates elements of Spanish flair like lace and ruffles with bright colors, sequins and simple ribbon accents, for breathtakingly gorgeous gowns with incredible silhouettes. We caught up with the Redken Creative Director to talk about the inspiration for the look and how to achieve this elegent hairstyle. “The look at Oscar De La Renta this season is all about softness, richness, ease and sophistication. It’s amazing how effective a ponytail can still look today, and how a beautiful, simple style can say so much. Before blow-drying the hair, I prepped it with Redken’s pillow proof blow dry express primer and satinwear 02 to protect it from the heat and get that rich, silky texture.”
“I tied a piece of ribbon with one loop, so it isn’t a full bow, around the ponytail, so it feels very romantic and feminine. It’s amazing how a little bit of ribbon can change a simple ponytail into something much more poetic and special, and you can really do that with any kind of material. Like we’ve been seeing at many shows this season already, it’s these small details and nuances that really make a simple hairdo new and modern,” says Guido. GET THE LOOK:
- Spray Redken pillow proof blow dry express primer all over damp hair and comb through.
- Apply a nickel-size amount of Redken satinwear 02 prepping blow dry lotion all over hair, focusing on the roots.
- Use fingers to create a short center part.
- Using a round brush, blow dry the hair smooth, lifting the hair at the crown to create a bit of volume.
- Gather hair into a low, loose ponytail and secure with an elastic.
- Pull little bits of hair out of the hairline to create a soft, drooped shape around the face.
- Finish by loosely tying a ribbon around the elastic.
What do you think of Oscar De La Renta’s jaw-dropping collection?!
Will you rock this classically simple ponytail this Spring?