This year, after the release of The Suicide Squad movie we have the sneaking suspicion this iteration of Harley Quinn will be a pretty popular Halloween costume. The red and black hair, the red dress, it screams dress-up time. And we’re here for it. Don’t be shocked if we go as Harley this year too.
Chances are you need a hair tutorial to complete your look. No one’s updated their Harley hair tutorials since the release of Suicide Squad. So, we took it upon ourselves to help out. Below, find a step-by-step on how to be Harley Quinn from The Suicide Squad for Halloween this year.
(The Suicide Squad via Warner Bros. Pictures)
Hey, mane muse! We wanted to give you a heads up that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that Mane Addicts will collect a small share of the sale from any purchase you make from the products we recommend.
How to Achieve Harley Quinn’s Red and Black Hair From The Suicide Squad, Step-by-Step
- Start with dry, straight hair. Massage in some volume powder at your roots to create lift and grip.
- Part your hair down the middle, all the way from your forehead to the back of your neck. Clip one side out of the way.
- Gather one side of your hair into a low ponytail to angle the hair towards where you will secure them (a few inches below and a little behind your ear). Be sure to leave a good size strand at your hairline out like she does.
- Secure tightly with an elastic. Repeat on the other side.
- Harley’s hair isn’t perfect, so you don’t want yours to be either. Backcomb your pigtails slightly to add a little faux frizz and volume.
- The signature of Harley’s look is the black and red dip dye. For a one-night style, try some temporary hair dye. You can use hair chalk or a spray, so long as the colors are red and black. While you cover the entire lower half of the pigtails in color, use a piece of paper as a stopper to prevent the temporary color from getting on your neck and other hair.
- Set the look with a high to medium hold hairspray that will lock in your look for the night without adding crunch or shine.
- Spray some hairspray onto a toothbrush and use it to tame flyaways at your part and neckline.
- To finish, you can always braid the pigtails like Harley does later on in the film. The choice is yours.
Once Halloween is over, you’ll need to do some damage control on your strands. HERE are eight products to revitalize your post-Halloween hair!