This year, after the release of The Suicide Squad movie we have the sneaking suspicion this iteration of Harley Quinn will be a pretty popular Halloween costume. The red and black hair, the red dress, it screams dress-up time. And we’re here for it. Don’t be shocked if we go as Harley this year too.
Chances are you need a hair tutorial to complete your look. No one’s updated their Harley hair tutorials since the release of Suicide Squad. So, we took it upon ourselves to help out. Below, find a step-by-step on how to be Harley Quinn from The Suicide Squad for Halloween this year.
(The Suicide Squad via Warner Bros. Pictures)
Hey, mane muse! We wanted to give you a heads up that some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that Mane Addicts will collect a small share of the sale from any purchase you make from the products we recommend.
How to Achieve Harley Quinn’s Red and Black Hair From The Suicide Squad, Step-by-Step
- Start with dry, straight hair. Massage in some volume powder at your roots to create lift and grip.
- Part your hair down the middle, all the way from your forehead to the back of your neck. Clip one side out of the way.
- Gather one side of your hair into a low ponytail to angle the hair towards where you will secure them (a few inches below and a little behind your ear). Be sure to leave a good size strand at your hairline out like she does.
- Secure tightly with an elastic. Repeat on the other side.
- Harley’s hair isn’t perfect, so you don’t want yours to be either. Backcomb your pigtails slightly to add a little faux frizz and volume.
- The signature of Harley’s look is the black and red dip dye. For a one-night style, try some temporary hair dye. You can use hair chalk or a spray, so long as the colors are red and black. While you cover the entire lower half of the pigtails in color, use a piece of paper as a stopper to prevent the temporary color from getting on your neck and other hair.
- Set the look with a high to medium hold hairspray that will lock in your look for the night without adding crunch or shine.
- Spray some hairspray onto a toothbrush and use it to tame flyaways at your part and neckline.
- To finish, you can always braid the pigtails like Harley does later on in the film. The choice is yours.