Valentino’s former long time creative director Maria Grazia Chiuri debuted her first collection in her new role with Dior this Paris Fashion Week season. The collection boasted tarot embroidered lace skirts and tailored jackets inspired by fencing, a juxtaposition between male and female, masculine and feminine. Perhaps the boldest shirt of the collection was a plain white tee with the text ‘We should all be feminists.’ This was exactly what inspired Maria’s whimsical collection.
Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau played off this with hair that looked like a sleek bun but was cornrowed up the back.
“Maria is very particular and always has a very strong idea about her girl,” he explains. “She liked the idea of almost a young street girl, with a look that you could do yourself.”
“The 3-4 braids in the back with the topknot is a bit imperfect, so there is still a softness to the look. The hair is pulled away from the face while leaving some of the girls’ bangs intact. We’re using Braid Aid here for a bit of setting power and a bit of grip. It’s a great product to help prepare your hair for braids. We’re blow drying the hair away from the face using Guts 10 to give it smooth volume for the knot on top. I find the finished look a bit tomboyish in a way, with a feminine twist.”
GET THE LOOK: FEMININE TOMBOY
- Start with clean, fresh hair.
- Section the back bottom of the hair (about an inch above the ear,) clipping the top section up.
- Evenly apply Redken Braid Aid 03 Braid Defining Lotion to the back length to give braids a bit of smoothness and extra grip.
- Divide back length with a comb into 3 vertical sections for light hair, or 4 sections for thick hair.
- Flip hair upside down and French braid each of the sections from the nape of the neck to above the ear.
- Secure each braid at the ear line tightly with a small elastic.
- Unclip the top section of the hair and evenly apply Redken Guts 10 Volume Spray Foam throughout the top section of the hair to achieve volume, shine and hold.
- Blow-dry hair away from the face to give it a smooth line.
- Once fully dry, brush hair with fingers and pull into a tight ponytail at top of head following the hair line (slightly behind ears.)
- Secure the ponytail tightly with an elastic.
- Take hair length and make a small loop 1/3 of the way through hair with the length. Secure loop with an additional elastic.
- Wrap the existing length around the loop to complete the knot and secure with an elastic or hair pins.
- Finish by spraying Redken Fashion Work 12 all over to help set and hold style.