Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, and not to mention her mane’s best friend too. The CFDA Awards red carpet in NYC last night were lit (literally) thanks to Olivia Culpo. In a Kate Spade feather tuxedo dress and strappy pumps, the starlet stunned with a Black Swan-inspired braided ballerina bun by Justine Marjan. The hair pro adorned the ‘do with a dainty diamond necklace that, she tells us, she sewed to Olivia’s hair to create a headband. Diamonds in our hair? All day, every day, we’re for it. Here, Justine’s step-by-step, including the Paul Mitchell MarulaOil products she used, to create Olivia’s iced-out updo.
GET THE LOOK:
- Prep damp hair with MarulaOil Rare Oil Style Extending Primer and Light Treatment Oil then blow-dry with the MarulaOil Smoothing Brush and Paul Mitchell Neuro Motion Touch Activated Dryer.
- When hair is dry, use Fatboy Hair Tough Guy Water Wax around the hairline, then comb through with a fine toothed comb.
- Create a clean center part, then gather hair at the back of the head into a sleek ponytail, spraying MarulaOil Rare Oil Perfecting Hairspray on the brush as you gather back.
- Attach a Beauty Works ponytail extension then split it into two braids.
- Wrap each braid around each other into a knot and secure with small bobby pins and French pins.
- Finish with a mist of MarulaOil Rare Oil Perfecting Hairspray and a small wooden brush to comb away any stray hairs.
- Use a needle and thread to sew in the necklace.