Lily Collins’ debuted a gorgeous ethereal OTT updo at last night’s Golden Globe Awards by none other than Gregory Russell. While Gregory always gives Lily something classic, chic, and sophisticated, this updo was a bold statement for the duo that we couldn’t stop drooling over. Gregory was inspired by Lily’s beaded Zuhair Murad gown and wanted to create a voluminous textured updo with braided details.
To recreate the look…
- To start, apply a golf ball sized amount of John Frieda Luxurious Volume Perfectly Full Mousse on the roots for lasting volume, and then another golf ball sized amount to the lengths of the hair for body.
- Then, brush through and begin blowing the hair out with a multi-bristle brush and setting the “mohawk” section on velcro rollers securing each with a duckbill clip.
- Once cooled, start curling hair with a 1.25″ barrel, spraying each section with John Frieda Luxurious Volume Forever Full Hairspray before curling.
- Then, curl the mohawk section away from the face and fasten each curl with a duckbill clip.
- While the hair cools, spray the roots with the new John Frieda Luxurious Volume Volume Refresh Dry Shampoo to add lift and texture.
- Next, remove the clips, brush out and section out 1″ of the perimeter of the hair all the way around the head.
- Add a pearl sized amount of John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch-up Creme to the remaining hair and secure it with a bungee hair tie at the crown of the head.
- Then, work through the lengths to define and pin the curls up to create a voluminous messy bun.
- Take selected pieces from the perimeter and pin back, leaving some wispy face framing pieces out.
- Braid the remaining hair into a fishtail pulling it slightly apart for texture and shape. Fasten it around the bun with hair pins.
- Finally, spray John Frieda Luxurious Volume Forever Full Hairspray to lock in the style.
SHOP THIS STORY