If an unwavering synergy between digital influencers and their followers didn’t exist before, it does now, thanks to IAMKARENO. The blunt-bobbed, Hong Kong-born beauty and fashion blogger amassed 1.4 million YouTube subscribers in just four years. Major, we know. Before reaching the pinnacle of popularity, IAMKARENO, whose full name is Karen Yeung, snagged a BA in International Relations from the University of California, Davis. IAMKARENO has since taken the cake for content queen. And she just added designer to her title, with the launch of a childhood-dream fashion line, Umo (a mini vintage meets modern collection that includes a beret labeled with the super-21st century saying “Text before you call” and a rose script tee).
Sampling novel hair hues and highlighting clever makeshift accessories (think: satin ribbon turned belt) are the norm for IAMKARENO, who fashionably fuels a relationship with her half a million Instagram followers. With the 80’s making a major comeback, a leotard-clad IAMKARENO in a Let’s Get Physical-inspired workout video graced our minds. So we turned to Mane Master Ryan Richman and hairstylist to the likes of Ashley Tisdale and Delilah Belle, who crimped IAMKARENO’s pastel cobalt-blue bob to mimic her 80’s beauty icon, Madonna. A few French hair pins and a neon pink headband later, IAMKARENO aced a modern 80’s mane. With a penchant for picking up hair inspiration from dance aerobics videos, Karen fit the throwback bill perfectly. Hit play to watch IAMKARENO jazzercise back to the decade that scrunchies, perms, and mousse moonwalked out of, followed by Ryan Richman’s tutorial on how to get a faux 80’s perm.
Get the look: Modern 80’s Perm
- Blow dry hair with Dyson Supersonic Blow Dryer and apply Bumble and bumble Thickening Spray
- Spray OUAI Texturizing Spray to root to add volume
- Wrap 1-inch sections of hair around French pins in a figure-8 motion
- Heat the hair around the pins
- Drop hair from the French pins
- Spray Kristin Ess Soft Shine Beach Wave Spray all over to add extra shine
- Shape hair and hold style in place with Kristin Ess Depth Defining Water-Based Pomade
Follow @iamkareno for more #manespiration.