Justine Marjan’s Tips For Getting Big 60’s Voluminous Hair (Even if Your Hair is Flat and Thin)
08 . 17 . 17
Associate Social Media Manager at Mane Addicts
Latest posts by Nina Aghadjanian (see all)
- This Pro Hair Hack Extends the Life Between Hair Color Appointments - July 19, 2019
- Get Sexy Hair Like a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model - July 18, 2019
- 5 Ways to Turn Basic Bangs Into French Girl Bangs - July 13, 2019
Earlier this week, we revealed our August Mane Muse Maddie Ziegler, the darling dance prodigy who just added actress to her title. In the feature, Maddie drew inspiration from ’60s hair icons, emulating manes à la Factory Girl via the touch of celebrity hairstylist Justine Marjan. Here we asked Justine to break down the voluminous Sharon Tate-inspired look she created for Maddie, including the products she used, and her tips for thin-haired girls who thought they couldn’t (but totally can) pull off the full hairstyle.
How did you and Maddie come up with the Sharon Tate voluminous look? What was the inspo behind it?
The inpso behind all the looks was beauty in the decades. She channeled icons of the past and the Sharon Tate look was perfect with Maddie’s super thick hair.
Can only thick-haired girls pull this look off?
Definitely not! You can always add in a couple clip-in extensions for added fullness or to get that super thick look in the shot, just jump and take the photo right when you land. It makes the hair look extra full.
What’s a pro tip for getting height at the crown?
Spray your smoothing brush with hairspray, then lift the section up and back-brush it down. It’s called French lacing and it creates the best volume!
How do you get all that volume without your hair looking like a rat’s nest? AKA how do I make the crown look so smooth even though I’ve just teased the sh*t out of it?
After you’ve created the height that you like, use your brush to gently brush a layer over your rat’s nest to hide!
Get Maddie’s look:
- Prep hair with Tresemme Beauty-Full Shampoo and Conditioner to get the right foundation
- Apply Tresemme Beauty-Full Mousse to the roots before blowdrying for lots of lift
- Spray Oribe Thickening Spray throughout the length of the hair then blow-dry with a GHD Air Professional Hair Dryer and round brush
- After each section was dry, I pinned it to let cool and sprayed Bumble and bumble Dryspun Finish Spray at the roots
- When all the hair was dry, I went back with a 1 1/4 inch GHD Soft Curl Iron and reinforced the curls
- Lastly, I sprayed my Mason Pearson Brush with R + Co Vicious Strong Hold Flexible Hairspray and back-brushed for soft volume