Whoah, baby! Soon-to-be-mama Kerry Washington strutted her sultry self down last night’s Met Gala red carpet in a deep magenta mane we’re absolutely mad for. Behind the look is celebrity hairstylist Takisha Sturdivant-Drew who went for a vampy, sexy style to go with Kerry’s Marc Jacobs dress. “When it came to styling Kerry’s hair, it was all about the chopped layer cut. What better way to add extra drama was by giving her ombré deep purple and texture,” Takisha says. Scroll down now for Takisha’s step-by-step and product breakdown to Kerry’s colored curls.
GET THE LOOK:
- Shampoo with the Neutrogena Triple Repair Shampoo which instantly cleanses the hair without stripping it.
- Condition with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask, an intensive moisture treatment that restores shine and leaves the hair soft and lustrous. Pro Tip: “When trying to achieve this look, you always have to start with a great quality shampoo and conditioner. But nothing that’s going to weigh the hair down.”
- After rinsing the conditioner out thoroughly, towel-dry hair.
- Blow dry hair with the T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer, and lift at the roots with the T3 AntiGravity Barrel Brush.
- Part hair on the right side and add waves with the T3 Bodywaver 1.75” Styling Iron for fullness, shine and texture. Pro Tip: “I love that with this tool I’m not going to damage Kerry’s hair. It has constant heat through the plates so it is much more gentle on the strands.”
- Starting at the root, wrap medium strands of the hair loosely around the Bodywaver for 7 seconds, pinning the curls as you go. Pro Tip: “Alternate clock and counter clockwise with the iron throughout the hair to pump up the volume.”
- Let the curls set for an hour, then remove the clips out and brush them out with the T3 Vent Brush.
- For added texture, Takisha clipped in TSD Hair Extensions in the center.
- To finish, Takisha gathered her hair altogether in the mid-center, cut it in the back and let the hair fall forward for some drama.