Easily one of the most in-demand stylists in Hollywood, mane master to the stars, Larry Sims, was behind-the-scenes working his hair magic on one of our fave small screen gals for the Essence Black Women in Hollywood Awards. Larry was responsible for the tresses of none other than Orange Is The New Black star and friend-in-our-head Danielle Brooks for the awards show.
Danielle looked stunning as ever in a navy blue, velvet gown by Marc Bouwer that was only upstaged by her insanely shiny, effortless hair. It’s no surprise Danielle felt as good as she looked. “I’ve been Sim-styled,” she told us. And we’d be lying if we said we weren’t jealous–Larry knows how to work those waves! Below, Larry took us behind-the-scenes on how he got Danielle Brooks’s soft waves ready for the night.
What did you do the morning of the event?
I read my daily inspiration, meditated, fed my dogs, drank tea, went to the gym, went for a stroll, and figured out my looks for the evening.
How did you prep for the big night?
I talked to Danielle about my ideas earlier in the day. I got the look from her stylist beforehand to pull inspiration. I prepped my styling kits and made sure my brushes and combs were clean.
What inspired Danielle’s look for the Essence Black Women in Hollywood red carpet?
We wanted something really soft and beautiful without it going too old Hollywood glam. Our inspiration was creating effortless, soft, and pretty hair.
Describe Danielle’s hairstyle in one word.
Fill in the blank—The Essence Black Women in Hollywood glam sesh with Danielle Brooks is like…
A glam party with great music!
GET DANIELLE’S LOOK:
- Start off by washing hair using Schwarzkopf GLISS™ Oil Nutritive Shampoo & Conditioner.
- Next, brush hair out with a round brush using Scwarzkopf got2b 2sexy Big Volume Mousse.
- Blow dry hair and take a large half-inch curling barrel and loosely wrap it around just the ends of the hair in the opposite direction. Curl hair away from the face to frame it. Prep with Got2B Guardian Angel Flat Iron Balm.
- Use a Mason Pearson brush and brush hair out for a soft finish.
- Use Schwarzkopf got2b Glam Force Hairspray to finish the look.
What do you think of Danielle Brooks’s soft waves? Sound off in the comments below!