With a mane that could alone soothe the woes of the world, our November muse gets the importance of an awe-inspiring hair hue and knows that the taller the hair, the more terrific your take on life can be. The happiest Troll ever born (with an equally merry mane), Poppy is a natural-born leader and muse—and the proof is in her hot, hot pink pineapple updo.
So pink, in fact, that it’s keeping celebrity colorist Danny Moon up at night. “Everything’s going to be pink!” he said while mixing magic color for his muse. We couldn’t agree more—if you’re not dreaming in Poppy pink, you’re not dreaming at all! So when your mane is powerful enough to double as a staircase and voluminous enough to steal the spotlight on a red carpet, there’s no need to experiment with different styles, right? Duh!
But when the leader of the Trolls felt inspired to switch up her strands, we were hair for her! We tapped Andrew Fitzsimons, maven behind the manes of the likes of Kendall Jenner and Joan Smalls, who took our muse’s hair from sky-high to sleek. The transformation was no doubt fit for a Troll leader, but no look compares to Poppy’s signature pineapple ponytail, which Andrew predicts will be the biggest, baddest hair trend to come. We have a feeling once Poppy bats those lashes that adorn her pink eyes and flaunts her fuzzy updo, the Bergens won’t stand a chance against her cheery charm.
To take your mane to Troll heights, we broke down the formula for Poppy’s pink color from Danny Moon, and a step-by-step guide to her signature pineapple updo from Andrew Fitzsimons.
POPPY’S PINK COLOR RECIPE
- Mix 2:1 of Special Effects Atomic Pink Hair Dye and Manic Panic Hot Hot Pink Hair Dye in a color bowl.
- Apply color all over, leaving roots untouched.
- Leave on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse hair with Davines Momo Shampoo and OUAI Clean Conditioner.
- Apply Olaplex No. 2 Bond Perfector all over and rinse after ten minutes.
- Remove any color stains from skin with Matrix Total Results Pro Solutionist No Stain.
GET THE LOOK: POPPY’S SIGNATURE PINEAPPLE
- Apply a generous amount of Awapuhi Wild Ginger HydroCream Whip from root to tip.
- Dry hair upside down with Dyson Supersonic.
- Create a small, tight ponytail at the front of the crown and secure with an elastic.
- Tie a second elastic further up the ponytail to structurally lengthen it.
- Backcomb the ponytail with Paul Mitchell Teasing Brush and spray Paul Mitchell NEON Sugar Confection Hairspray to spike the ends.
- Take a small section of hair around the first ponytail and backcomb.
- Spray Paul Mitchell NEON Sugar Confection Hairspray to spike the end, then secure the spike by adding a hair pin to the base.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you’ve completed the whole head.
- Set the look by spraying more Paul Mitchell NEON Sugar Confection Hairspray to smooth over the silhouette and create volume around the hairline.
GET THE LOOK: POPPY SAMPLES A SLEEK LOB
- Section wet hair into a deep side part and apply Awapuhi Wild Ginger HydroCream Whip all over.
- Dry hair with Dyson Supersonic.
- Apply Awapuhi Wild Ginger Mirrorsmooth High Gloss Primer thermal protection then lightly straighten section by section with Ghd Platinum White Styler.
- Pin one side of hair behind the ear.
- Work a small amount of Awapuhi Wild Ginger Styling Treatment Oil on mid-length to ends for healthy shine.
*Click here for the 411 on where to buy all the Paul Mitchell NEON and Awapuhi Wild Ginger products used on Poppy.
SHOP THIS STORY
Muse: Poppy @trolls
Model: Christiana Martoccia @christimartocci
Photographer: Mike Rosenthal @mrmikerosenthal
Makeup: Shannon Torres @_sj_torres
Video: Dave Lang @thedavelang
Creative Producer: Ashley Alanis @ashley.alanis