It was Joan Crawford who said “the most important thing a woman can have – next to talent, of course – is her hairdresser.” That couldn’t ring more true to the relationship between actress Odette Annable and hairstylist Christine Symonds. The duo met nearly 10 years ago and have been nearly inseparable since (proof is that they had just returned from a group vacation in Mexico when we met).
Christine has been Odette’s go-to hair guru for years, traveling the world with her, creating her red carpet looks (who can forget her gorgeous sleek bun early this year), and prepping her tresses for press and events. Little did they know when they first met in college where their careers would take them.
Best known for her roles in House and the new ABC series, The Astronaut Wive’s Club, Odette is no stranger to playing the coy and confident brunette, and we like to think some of that comes from the magic of her gorgeous dark tresses.
Christine walks us through some of her and Odette’s favorite low key summer hairstyles…
THE KNOTTED PONY
“This look is super easy and creates a super long pony!” says Christine.
- “Spray Oribe Dry Texture Spray in the hair to create a little grit without being too slippery.
- Grab two side sections, leaving the back middle section down, then tie them in a knot at the back of the head twice.
- Secure with bobby pins.
- Spray with hairspray, then pull out some pieces around the front for more of a boho finish.”
THE BRAIDED HALO
“To create this look, I basically just created two braids on either side of Odie’s head, then secured with an elastic.”
- “Grab one inch of hair on either side of the part and create two braids on either side.
- Wrap the two braids in the back together to create more of a woven pattern then secure with an elastic.
- Once the braids are pinned together, remove the elastic and let the ends be free.
- Spray the braid with Dry Texture Spray, then use your fingers to open up the sides of the braid creating a fuller finish.
- Create a wave through the rest of the hair with a 1 ¼ inch curling iron.”
And for the inside scoop between their friendship…
Photos and Video: Dave Lang @thedavelang