Every now and then our hair has a moment of weakness, like brittle strands, a dry scalp, thirsty roots, or shedding. While it is important to keep your wash game strong, shampoo may very well be the culprit of all your hair problems. Shampoos, especially the ones containing sulfate, can be a b*tch on the strands. While they do clean and refresh your roots, they can also strip your hair of its natural moisture, which is the reason why conditioner is always to follow. But how can we maintain a clean scalp without all the rigorous and rough damage shampoo brings to our hair? Enter mane savior, pre-shampoo. Pre-poo is basically a step before your regular wash routine. Natural afro, color-treated, thick, coily, and curly hair types are especially prone to dryness and require this more sensitive treatment. Pre-poo basically protects and prepares your hair for further manipulation while retaining moisture. Learn all about it below!
So, What Is Pre-Poo?
Pre-poo is just a mixture of conditioners (oils, butters, creams or even fruit) applied to hair before washing.
What Are Its Benefits?
You’d be surprised at how necessary pre-poo is for your hair. Some of the major benefits include:
- Helps detangle hair: It is super important to detangle your hair before washing to avoid losing excess hair during the process. Pre-shampoo makes hair incredibly manageable and ready for manipulation.
- Retains moisture: If dry hair is your issue, pre-poo is your solution. Because it is made with oils and other conditioners, it shields your hair from the dryness shampoo can bring.
How Do You Use Pre-Shampoo?
- Section your hair into four and apply your favorite pre-poo
- Cover hair with a plastic cap and let pre-poo sit for 15-30 minutes (you can even do this overnight)
- Rinse thoroughly
- Proceed with your usual wash routine
You don’t have to pre-poo your hair more often than necessary. Bi-weekly treatments are recommended. But if you’re a co-washer (meaning you only wash your hair with conditioner), you don’t need to pre-poo at all.
Pre-shampoo recipes are limitless. Basically, take your favorite oil, conditioner product, or natural ingredient and create a concoction that works best for you. You can even keep it simple and just coat your hair with only oil. Our favorite pre-poos are below. (Strict measurements not needed, create as much as you see fit for your hair).
- Avocado + Honey + Olive Oil = Absolute moisture and shine for days
- Coconut Oil + (melted) Shea Butter = Ultra-defined curl pattern, endless moisture, and super soft tresses
- Conditioner + a Carrier Oil = Incredible manageability and softness
**Mane Tip: For healthier hair, opt for sulfate-free shampoos or try washing with diluted apple cider vinegar.