(via The Farah Effect)
When all else fails and you’ve got a dire hair situation, you can always count on the AAA–Arugula, Asparagus and Avocado–salad. It’s easy to put together, quick to prepare, and great for your hair. We teamed up with Registered Dietician Farah Fahad from The Farah Effect, who created this delicious superfood salad recipe for healthy hair.
So, why is this tasty salad so good for your hair? Avocado and olive oil are an excellent source of healthy fats for shiny hair. But, the star ingredients–arugula, sunflower seeds and egg–are also full of important vitamins, nutrients and minerals that are important for hair health.
Leafy dark greens, like arugula, are an excellent source of chlorophyll, which is vital for hair growth, and continuously produces melanin in the pigment cells of your hair follicles which helps to slow down the graying process. Sunflower seeds also help prevent hair loss with nutrients like protein, zinc, selenium, biotin, potassium, copper, iron, vitamins B and E, magnesium and calcium.
Topping it all off, is the egg. Hair is mainly made up of protein, which means your hair needs protein to grow. One egg has six grams of protein, but this recipe will give you 12 grams along with some additional protein from sunflower seeds. Eggs are also high in the B vitamin biotin essential for a healthy scalp and hair growth. Plus, eggs provide you with the amino acid L-lysine that allows for maximum absorption of iron and zinc, which also play a role in keeping your hair strong. Beta-carotene from the yolk is also good for soothing dry scalp and clearing up dandruff. Below, the ingredients for the most scrumptious superfood salad recipe for healthy hair.
QUICK ARUGULA, ASPARAGUS, AND AVOCADO SALAD
- 15 stalks of asparagus
- 1½ tsp. of olive oil
- 1-2 cups of arugula
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. of toasted sunflower seeds
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Cut asparagus into three pieces and remove the ends. Next, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add asparagus. Season asparagus with salt and pepper to taste then grill for a few minutes until tender. Set aside.
- Boil eggs for six minutes then place into a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, peel the egg and set aside.
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a pan on low heat for approximately three minutes or until golden brown.
- Dress arugula in a classic vinaigrette or olive oil and lemon.
- Cut the egg in half.
- Place the egg and sliced avocado on top of the dressed arugula and add asparagus on the side. Sprinkle with toasted sunflower seeds, and then enjoy!
Make sure to check out The Farah Effect for more delicious and healthy recipes, and let us know what you think of this superfood salad recipe for healthy hair below in the comments!