Top Colorists Reveal Their Secret Formula for the Prettiest Sun-Kissed Hair
Latest posts by Nina Aghadjanian (see all)
- This Hair Extensions Disc Will Save You So Much Time - June 13, 2019
- The Cheapest Beauty Products Inside Top Celeb Stylists’ Kit - June 11, 2019
- 7 Edge-Taming Products For Baby Hairs That Always Misbehave - June 10, 2019
While the sun-kissed hair color trend has been ablaze for a while now, we don’t foresee ourselves ever getting bored of it. And why should we? The beautiful-for-every-season hue, made with techniques like balayage, floating highlights, and ombrè, is the gift that keeps on giving. Effortless and low maintenance, sun-kissed is here to stay. And because we know your clients can’t stop asking for the beachy colors, we thought we’d supply you with technical inspiration. Get ready to screenshot—top hair colorists spill the color formulas to their gorgeous sun-kissed hair shades, including their go-to shampoo and conditioner to keep your summer hair color looking fresh. Keep reading for their recipes.
Jessica Gonzalez, Benjamin Salon
- I balayaged using Redken Flashlift 40 volume using 20 vol on the already blonde ends
- I glossed all over using L’Oréal Dialight 1/2 10.32 1/2 clear with 6 volume for about 7 minutes
- I then shadowed the root with Redken Shades EQ 9N for 5 minutes while there was Olaplex 2 on the ends
- I’m currently obsessed with the the Inphenom Shampoo and Treatment for blondes that need extra moisture this summer
Ryan Pearl, Cutler Salon SoHo
- Bleach: Up to 7 with 30 volume
- Base drop Redken Shades EQ
- Equal parts of 3G and 6NB for 5 minutes, leaving the hairline out for the last 2 minutes, then I tap the root of hairline and comb through
- End glaze is: 5 grams 9gb, 5 grams 7NB, 2 grams 9v, 40 grams of crystal clear
- My favorite shampoo and conditioner to use is Redken Color Extend Magnetics
Anja Burton, 454 North Salon
- I heavily tip out the ends using Clairol BW and 20vol
- Followed by rooting (darkening) the roots with a 3n 1/4 3g Redken Shades for 10 minutes
- I leave the ends raw and do not tone them so they maintain maximum brightness
- I finish off using Malibu Blonde (on ends only) for 5 minutes. And last but not least a clear shine gloss (Redken) for 10 minutes
- I’m always telling my clients to keep their shampoos rotating because your hair gets used to the same ole same ole and right now my go to is Iles Formula
Chris Greene, Meche Salon
- I foil Sydney’s hair with Wella Blondor Powder and 20 vol. making sure the weaves are fine around her face. Foiling throughout the rest of her head, I make sure to leave a lot of her natural in there, for contrast
- Once her foils are completely applied I got back through and tip her out, which means take sections of her hair that have not been foiled and lighten them as well from the mids to tips. I take a section about two inches by two inches and tease it upwards a few times, then on the ends and mid lengths I apply blondor and 20 vol then close it up in a foil
- After everything processed and reaches a level 9 I rinse and section the hair for rooting
- I rooted Sydney with Wella Color Touch 7N for 10 minutes
- Tapping the root of her hairline for the last 3 minutes. That keeps it light around the face. I try to leave highlights raw whenever I can. I love the brightness and natural look. I find it so pretty! I’m also a warm colorist, so I like a more golden hue to my blondes
- We didn’t tone her after her root was rinsed off. We kept it raw. Sydney’s hair was then finished with Biolage Acidic Milk Rinse. It’s a 5 minute treatment that smoothes the hair critical, evens out the hairs pH and adds major shine! It’s amazing after any color service. I find it really helps show off the color!
- I recommended Sydney use the Biolage R.A.W. Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner to keep her color looking and feeling amazing
Bianca Hillier, Andy LeCompte Salon
For Rachel Barnes sun-kissed mane, I keep it low maintenance for an easy natural grow out. She sees me for balayage about three times a year
- I highlight Rachel with Redken flashlift 1:2 + Olaplex
- Rinse and wash with Olaplex number 4 shampoo
- Olaplex and water on all of the hair
- I gloss her with Redken Shades EQ 7t at the root and 9T 9NW all over (both formulas include Olaplex 1)
- Rinse gloss. Apply Olaplex 3 treatment for 15 minutes
- Light shampoo with Olaplex 4 and a generous condition with Olaplex 5
- Olaplex 4 (the shampoo) and 5 (the conditioner) are my new favorite products for client to take home. Olaplex 3, Olaplex 4 and Olaplex 5 have the active ingredient to build bonds however the shampoo and conditioner also focus on the exterior of the hair, giving you that cosmetic slip and shine
Leysa Carrillo, Atelier by Square
- Formula 1: 2 oz of Schwarzkopf blondeMe Blonde lifting Steel Blue and 1 oz of Steel Blue + Sand
- Formula 2: Schwarzkopf BlondeMe Lightener 20vol
- Formula 3: Toner w/ Igora 9-5-1 (1 oz)
- 1oz 9-5-4 7v
- To keep it fresh, wash with Mizani True Texture Cream Cleansing Conditioner and Moroccan Clay Steam Mask
Tauni Dawson, Nine Zero One Salon
- Highlight baby fine highlights with Wella Blondor 20 volume
- Tone the roots with redken shades EQ 1/2oz 7n, 1/4oz 7nb, 1/4oz 7gb for 10 minutes leaving hairline out
- Use Unite Blonda shampoo all over for toning and let sit for 2 minutes
- For at home I recommend switching between Unite Blonda Shampoo and Joico Blonde Life Brightening Shampoo to keep it fresh and using the Oribe Gold Lust Restorative Mask!
Cassondra Kaeding, Mare Salon
- To achieve this look I balayage highlight with Redken free hand
- Lift her to a soft pale golden blonde
- Then gloss all over with Redken Shades EQ 3/4 9N + 1/49NA + 1/4 clear for only 1 minute
- One of my favorite shampoos is the Shu Uemura Ultimate Remedy Shampoo and Conditioner. followed by the OUAI Treatment Masque (use it twice a week)
Sara Lim, Ramirez Tran Salon
- I highlighted her hair with 20vol Redken with Olaplex and used my favorite Framar foils and brushes.
- Then I painted the ends with 40v and Olaplex
- After, I did an Olaplex treatment, and rooted her with Redken Shades EQ 6n + 7nb and 8n + 7nb (hairline) for 15 minutes, I combed down for the last 5 minute
- Then I glossed her all over with 7gv + 9nw + 8c for 2 minutes
- I love Evo’s Lockdown Line, it does a really good job of smoothing the hair. It smells amazing too! I send my clients home with Olaplex #3 and love using haze and miss maluable to style out. I have my clients come back every few months for a gloss to keep them nice and golden!
Liz Jung, Meche Salon
- Highlight Redken flashlift 40 volume with 1/4 Olaplex
- She is half korean and half German so she has dark brunette stubborn hair and I do an ashy formula to cut the brass in the hair.
- Balayage at the ends.
- After the highlights, I rooted her on wet 6n Loreal Richesse and 7n at the hairline with 9 volume. Then zone 2 with Redken Shades EQ 9n+ clear. Process for 20 minutes.
- After we rinse the root gloss, drop her with Tracey Cunningham’s famous all over “drop” gloss Redken Shades EQ: 1/2 cap of 1B and 4oz of shades clear and 4oz of processing solution. You have to mix and apply very quickly as it oxidizes very fast. And leave it on and rinse off right away after 3-5 seconds to get that nice blonde color without the yellow.