As a celebrity men’s groomer, Lauren Kaye Cohen has perfected the art of precision men’s grooming, making her a favorite among celebs such as Sir Paul McCartney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ethan Hawke, Jim Carrey and Terrence Howard. Lauren’s work on the strapping men of entertainment can be seen in Vogue, W, Vanity Fair, GQ, and Esquire, as well as various press appearances. So we have to wonder…does men’s hair care vary from women’s and what exactly does someone bring when coiffing the manes of the hottest A-listers? Lauren Kaye Cohen opens her bag and lets us dive inside…
“As stylists, we have many different ways of doing things… some of us love our “tried and trues”, some want only the newest, some can do anything with only a handful of products, and some lug everything with them but the kitchen sink. I am trying to stop bringing the kitchen sink. So right now I’m on a deluxe travel-size kick! Many of my favorite products come in that perfect 2 oz (-ish) size, which allows me to bring a great selection without the bulk or weight. Plus, I can easily fit them into my set kit or dash to the airport for a job out of town. Here are the ones I’m using most often in my kit these days…
- R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo– gives lots of volume, absorbs oil, and perfect for making it through that extra day (or 2) between washes… smells delicious!
- R+Co Aircraft Pomade Mousse– great for texture, root lift and body, and can be used on wet or dry hair.
- Oribe Thick Dry Finishing Spray– noticeably thickens the hair… no joke.
- Oribe Impermeable Anti-Humidity Spray– super dry, great for on vacation of if you are in an area with high humidity.
- Leonor Greyl Eclat Naturel styling cream for dry hair- the shea butter protects from everything! I live by this one to protect my damaged, tortured middle to ends
- Leonor Greyl Serum De Soie Sublimateur nourishing and protective styling serum- also protects from everything (blow-drying, UV rays, etc) and smoothes frizz but doesn’t flatten, so it’s even great for fine hair
- Bumble and Bumble Sumotech– the guy’s staple of all staples… separates, controls without weighing down
- Tom Ford for Men Oud Wood Conditioning Beard Oil– wonderful for facial hair, but can also protect and repair men’s (and women’s) dry ends, and even elbows in a pinch!
- Harry Josh Hair Dryer– small and lightweight yet crazy powerful! volumizes and smoothes and is so easy to use, even on my stubborn hair
- Tracey Tanner Pouches– one of my clients gave me a set as a present and I’m hooked! love them for organizing since they come in so many different colors and cool designs, I know exactly where everything is
- Ibiza Hair Brushes– I know they’re not travel-size, oh well… my particular favorites are B2, B3 and B4
There are a few items in my kit that may not be worthy enough to share with fellow “addicts” but just in case you didn’t know…
- Listerine Freshburst Pocketpaks– we work very closely with others
- Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels– every once in a while if someone is in the mood for a special treat! I can throw them on for 10 minutes while I’m styling their hair. Hair looks great and so do their eyes without any mess!
- Hand sanitizer by Everyone– it won’t dry out your hands and the light scent is peppermint and citrus.
- A hand-held fan from Brookstone – Styling irons, blow-dryers and lights can get HOT”
For more #manespiration, follow @LaurenKayeCohen.